Adelong Green and Gold dismantle Commercial

Jake McLennan-Dye tried his best to keep Batlow in the contest against the Oriental Colts on Friday night.

In a clinical display of 9s rugby league, the Adelong Green and Gold took the sword to a young and inexperienced Commercial Sharks at Twickenham Oval on Friday night.

Needing a big win to solidify their position in the Tumut Pub 9s top two, Adelong blitzed the Sharks 58-8, giving them a 20-point buffer on the Bowlie Bears, who trail the competition’s new team in third position.

Tate O’Donovan had the Green and Gold rolling early with two quick tries but it was a length of the field try by Sharks speedster Aidan Thomas that had the Madigan Hill in raptures.

Thomas sprinted past the likes of O’Donovan, Jordy Maher and Tyron Gorman to score a terrific solo effort, whilst also upstaging his more experienced opposition. 

Still, this wasn’t enough for the young Commercial side, who struggled with the size, speed and sheer power that Adelong called upon.

Mark Ford, Jordy Maher, Corey Wilson, Jake Luff and Jake Hardwick would all score, taking the score to 37-4.

Mal Aitken scored a nice try for the Sharks, beating Tate O’Donovan, Trent Skeers and Jordy Maher in a long ranged effort but Adelong would pile on more points, with Maher, Ford, Skeers and Luff all scoring their second tries in the 58-8 route.

Adelong will now prepare for a top of the table showdown with the unbeaten Woolpack Roosters on Friday night.

The only way Adelong can fall outside of the top two is if they lose to Roosters by 20 or more points.

Redmen keep dream alive

The game of the night was certainly played between the Star Redmen and Royal Hotel Devils, with positions in the Bristow-Madigan Plate on the line.

It was a simple predicament for the Royal; win and guarantee themselves a place in the finals, whilst ending the Star’s 2020 campaign. 

The Redmen came to the party with their own ideas though and played a physical brand of rugby league right from the start of the contest.

On the back of this physicality, speedster Mitch Ivill was able to cross twice, giving the Star an 8-nil buffer.

The Devils hit back when Reggie Coe scored but following this try, Coen McKenzie and Lewis Arragon crossed for the Star, giving their side an 18-4 lead with only seconds to go.

The Redmen did go to sleep in the final stages, allowing a late try but they would come out 18-8 winners in a tough performance.

Star forward Lewis Arragon was pleased with the result and explained that his team needed to win this week and hope that results go their way.

“It was a good win, we held onto the ball a lot more which helps,” Arragon said.

“We all know we need to win this week and for results to go our way to play in the finals.”

Arragon believes his side is building and hopes they can progress to the Bristow/Madigan Plate game.

“Everyone knows their role a bit better now that we’ve had a couple weeks to work it out,” Arragon said.

“Now we just need to try and win, without that win we aren’t a chance of playing finals.”

As it stands, the Royal hold onto fourth position over the Star with a slight for and against advantage.

The Star and Royal play Commercial and Batlow respectively on Friday and both sides will be out to score big results to secure their place in the finals and a probable date with the Bowlie Bears in the Bristow/Madigan Plate.

Colts gallop all over bewildered Batlow

The Oriental Colts seem to be warming up as the Tumut Pubs 9s is coming to a close.

Last year’s Roddy Shield runners up lost their first four games before winning two of their last three, highlighted by a 22-11 victory over the Batlow Tigers at Twickenham on Friday night.

The Colts came out of the blocks quickly, scoring three quick tries via Zac Webb, Matt Richards and Clayton Hillier, giving them a solid 12-nil lead.

After the early onslaught had finished, both sides got into the grind and the contest turned physical, with both teams desperate for a result to save some face in the 2020 competition.

Batlow scored just on the half time siren, when Ryley Collins finished a slick left side play, reducing the margin to 12-6.

After the break, veteran Matt Richards scored his second try before Jesse Bellchambers hit back for Batlow with a golden try, reducing the margin to 18-11.

Ori would have the last laugh though, with Richards and Webb combining to showcase some nice football, allowing Webb to cross over for the final meat pie of the game.

The 22-11 win to the Colts does nothing to the overall competition as far as finals but it does give the Tumut side bragging rights and a chance to finish as high as sixth, which would be a good result after a less than impressive start.

Batlow on the other hand will be wondering where it all went wrong, now having lost six consecutive games after winning their opening round fixture against the Commercial Sharks.

Pub 9s naughty corner

It what was another heated night of rugby league at Twickenham on Friday, the on field officials were again under the pump by both players and fans alike.

This week, the usually placid Brady Collins gave the on field officials a verbal tirade after succumbing to his own frustrations.

The Wagga Brothers second rower, who has been a standout for the Batlow Tigers in 2020, was visibly frustrated at consecutive calls against his side towards the backend of the second half.

Collins, who was well supported by the travelling Batlow fanbase, made these feelings known to the officials and their response was to send Collins off for an early shower to cool down.