A flood watch has been issued for the Tumut River and the Upper Murray River catchments.
The Flood Watch provides advice for possible flooding along rivers, creeks and inland flow paths within the Snowy Valley Council area catchment.
Rain is expected to develop during Wednesday and continue into Thursday and Friday. Based on the prediction provided by the Bureau of Meteorology it is expected the Tumut and Upper Murray River catchments could be impacted by floodwaters, causing minor to moderate flooding.
The weather system may cause flooding for the catchments from Thursday.
Farmers are encouraged to:
• Move pumps, animals and equipment to higher ground before roads close and organise for enough stock feed and water for your animals.
• Move poisons, waste and chemicals to high storage locations.
The Flood Watch means that people living or working along the Tumut River and Upper Murray River should monitor the latest weather forecasts and warnings and be ready to move to higher ground should flooding develop.
Flood Warnings will be issued if the Minor Flood Level is expected to be exceeded at key sites along the main rivers for which the Bureau of Meteorology provides a flood warning service.
The next flood watch will be issued by 12 noon tomorrow.
- Listen to ABC Riverina 97.9 FM and Sounds of the Mountain 96.3FM
- Radio Upper Murray 107.7, 88.7, 98.9 FM
- NSW SES website and Facebook contains information and safety advice:www.ses.nsw.gov.au/flood or www.facebook.com/NSW.SES
- Access the latest road closure information:o Local roads: Snowy Valley Council https://www.snowyvalleys.nsw.gov.au)o Major roads: Live Traffic (www.livetraffic.com.au) or 131 701
- Access rural animal and livestock assistance at Local Land Services: www.lls.nsw.gov.au
- Follow the latest weather warnings, rainfall and river heights: http://www.bom.gov.au/nsw
- For emergency help in floods and storms, call the NSW State Emergency Service on 132 500. In life threatening situations call triple zero (000) immediately.