Eagles wings still clipped as they work through guidelines
On Friday, Football Wagga Wagga, under the guidance of Football NSW, lifted its temporary ban on training, allowing groups of up to 10 to train in limited conditions.
The move, based on Football NSW’s return to training guidelines, hopes to stop the potential spread of Covid-19, whilst allowing athletes to prepare for a shortened FWW season.
In the guidelines, there are clear steps for participants, such as having gatherings of no more than 10 people at any one time and accommodating appropriate social distancing of at least 1.5m between people at all times.
The guidelines state that clubs should allow at least 4m squared for all participants at all times and they should maintain reasonable levels of hygiene to minimise the risk of infection, such as cleaning balls and participants drinking from their own bottles.
In a statement released by Football NSW, the governing body recommended that these guidelines should only be applied once council permission had been sort, especially if clubs were leaseholders.
Additionally, it seems as though Football NSW is close to announcing a date for the resumption of the community football and a return to play guideline would follow shortly.
“To support our participants, associations and clubs, in considering their return to training, Football NSW has produced a set of recommendations in the form of return to training guidelines and supplementary resources that are available,” the statement read.
“We are engaging with the NSW government as to when we may be able return to competitive play and management is currently developing a set of return to play guidelines, which we will shortly forward to the appropriate authorities.
“We remain committed to working with all stakeholders to ensure competitive play can resume as soon as possible.
“Associations and clubs who are leaseholders at their training venues are encouraged to engage with their councils regarding access to venues and any conditions they may have in relation to that access.”
Tumut Eagles representative Mick Parker said the club was still working through the guidelines and expected to know more after a meeting with FWW this week.
“(This is) still a work in progress I believe. There is a FWW meeting on Tuesday and then we have a club meeting on Wednesday,” Parker said.
“Hopefully we should know more by then. We have been given guidelines by Football NSW and need to work out how we can implement them.
“(We) also need to confirm with the council that we are right to use their grounds.”
Eagles coach Dylan Piper-Bye was already working towards implementing proper training methods that abided by the guidelines and believed that players would be keen to return as soon as possible.
“I’ve looked through a lot of the guidelines and I’ve got ideas on how to best run training according to these (guidelines),” Piper-Bye said.
“I think everyone is keen to get back purely out of the love and connection to the game.”