Historic huts rebuilt and opened

ALL WON’T FIT: With the reconstruction of Brook’s Hut those in attendance had to gather outside as the hut is quite small and all would not fit inside. Two of the historic huts now rebuilt were officially opened on the weekend of February 3 and 4.

TWO historic High Country huts have been rebuilt/restored in the Kosciusko National Park after being burnt out in the 2020 bushfires.

The Hut rebuild program was lead by NPWS Ranger Megan Bowden and constructed by National Parks Builders Roger Rosenboom and Peter Dow.

The rebuilds were supported by Kosciuszko Huts Association members and volunteers.

Bradleys and O’Brien’s hut was the fifth and Brooks the sixth hut to be finished in the program.

Bradleys and O’Brien’s Hut was officially opened on Saturday, February 3 with many volunteers and workmen present for the opening.

Among the attendees were KHA members, parks staff, Wagga 4WD Club, volunteers and descendants from both Bradley and O’Brien families.

Bradley and O’Brien’s hut is located just south of Cabramurra on the Tooma Road.

The following day, Sunday, February 4 saw the opening of Brooks Hut which is located West of Eucumbene Dam.

In attendance that day were KHA members, parks staff, Wagga 4WD Club, volunteers and family members. 

Family descendant Judy Brooks travelled from Darwin to be in attendance at this important occasion.

Roger Rosenboom and Peter Dow led the reconstruction of Brooks for the second time after it was burnt down in the 2003 bushfires and rebuilt in 2008-9.

Tom’s Outdoors videographer, Dean Johnson, has been thoroughly documenting the rebuild of each hut over the past two years. 

Tom’s Outdoors are releasing short films on the unique story of each hut rebuild as part of an ongoing documentary series. 

Sawyers and Delanys Hut, the first two to be completed, are currently available on YouTube with the subsequent films still in production.

PHOTOS: Dean Johnson – Tom’s Outdoors

Previous articleDe-merge support still needed
Next articleMischievous dog starts kitchen fire