Tumut kitchen fire

The importance of having working smoke alarms in your home was made clear when a kitchen fire occurred in Tumut in the early hours of yesterday (Wednesday) morning.

A resident of a Tumut home was woken by a smoke alarm at about 2.30am and immediately rang 000 after exiting the house.

A book had been left on the stove and had ignited, also setting fire to other items.

Tumut Fire and Rescue were soon on the scene, and quickly gained access to and extinguished the fire. The damage was confined to the top of the stove. The firefighters searched the scene with a gas detector to ensure no more ignitions could occur, and also ventilated the house.

“This shows that a smoke alarm can save your life and your house,” Tumut Fire and Rescue station commander Mick Ivill said. 

The occupant of the home, who was in the process of moving, subsequently left the premises.